White-labeling concept has become very popular among electronic payment processing industry players. We can witness the emergence and development of white label payment processing services, white label payment facilitator, and white label payment gateway reseller models. Indeed, these business models have already proven their efficiency at the market.
Let’s get to know more about a white label payment gateway, peculiarities, major partners involved and so forth.
A white label payment gateway solution is easier to implement than a custom payment gateway product developed from scratch. However, many companies that decide to make some money on white label payment gateway services, make costly mistakes along the way, because they do not know how to approach the process properly. In order for your white label payment gateway project to be a success, you have to follow a strict sequence of steps. Otherwise, your white label gateway might remain dysfunctional or disconnected to crucial platforms. In the worst case, you might be unable to provide white label payment services to your target customers.
Understanding the Idea
In the simplest possible terms, white label processing means a company has the opportunity to provide payment processing services under its own name. Instead of using a big name processor, a company chooses a white label payment gateway, then adds their brand to that solution.
In short “A white-label product is a product or service produced by one company that other companies rebrand to make it appear as if they had made it while using third-party services.”
Some of the features offered:-
- Customizable merchant back office interface fully integrated with brand identity- Your Brand Logo, Your URL , E –mail notification with your brand
- Fully Responsive Interface supporting multiple resolutions and devices including omni channel (desk stations, tablets and smartphones)
- Powerful Dashboard providing actionable insights based on real time analysis of the transactions.
- Multi-level User support to manage access rights
It can also reduce the cost of processing by reducing the number of middlemen between your business and your acquirer/processor.
White label payment gateway model works particularly well for ecommerce merchant services providers, gaming platforms, and casinos.
The main conceptual advantage of a white label gateway is that it allows you to save resources otherwise spent on development of a full-fledged gateway solution. As a result, you can dedicate more effort to your core products/ services. Development of your own payment gateway solution from scratch is a costly, time-consuming, and labor-intensive process. It requires large investments and many days spent on development, integrations, and certifications. If you go with a white label payment gateway solution, the only thing you need to do is configure it properly and you can focus on your core products and services, improvement of customer experience, and attraction of new clients.
The third-party, that is, the actual payment solution provider, handles most of the business and technical issues, related to the solution. These issues include integrations, certifications, payment security, fraud prevention, management of chargebacks and refunds, and other white label services, depending on your specific business model.
The trick with a white label solution is that you do not really own it. In the general case, the payment solution provider controls most of the process. While you (i.e. the user) control only the customer interface (at most). However, even such limited-control option works perfectly fine for small-to-medium-size merchants and startups.
Pro’s and Con’s of white label payment gateway solutions
The main advantages of a white label gateway solution are as follows.
- You can put your company’s logo and brand name on the gateway product.
- You can boost your image and reputation in the eyes of your customers and competitors.
- The gateway provider handles payment security issues for you. These include PCI compliance, fraud protection, payment data encryption etc.
- The gateway product is already integrated with and certified by all the necessary channel partners.
- As a result of the above-mentioned advantages, you can create added value, improve customer experience, and expand your customer base
The disadvantages of a white label gateway solution are as follows.
- You do not control much of the process. The only thing you can really customize is the interface
- If the gateway solution is shared by multiple users, its work may slow down due to overloads
Flavors of White Label Solution:
There are many flavors of white label service, from hosted solution to dedicated gateway to licensed open source payment gateway software.
Major partners of a white label payment gateway provider:
There are four categories of partnerships you should focus on, first and foremost. Here they are.
- A sponsor bank – the one to connect you with card brands.
- An acquiring bank – the one to authorize you to provide payment gateway services.
- A payment processor – to process all the payments that go through your system.
- A commercial bank – to help you fund the merchants.
Conceptual steps on the way to white label gateway
- Define the time limits. True, you are not building a custom gateway product from scratch. But do not be too optimistic. A white label gateway project might take 6 to 12 months to implement.
- Define the methods. Which architectural solutions will you need? How they are going to be deployed, certified, and integrated with other systems? These are the key issues to address at this stage.
- Share the responsibilities. Who is going to develop, implement, certify the listed solutions, and integrate them with target platforms? You or the provider?
From conceptual viewpoint, these steps might look simple and trivial, but the devil hides in the details.
Finding a Quality White Label Partner
To make the most of your white label payment gateway experience, it’s important to find the right provider that gives you what you need, so in turn, you can meet the needs of your merchants. To do that, you’re going to have to ask a few questions, it’s better to take into account a couple of things.
Things to pay attention to when choosing a company that provides these services
- Development time. While the technology is not very complex, it takes more time to set everything up.
- PCI Compliance Validation. The payment gateway has complete access to customer’s personal information. That’s why it’s essential to verify the PCI Compliance.
- Will you have access to training materials and support services?
- Is the payment gateway platform easy and intuitive to use?
- How reliable is the payment gateway platform?
- How secure is the payment gateway platform?
- Does the white label gateway provider sell their services directly to merchants?
- Who is responsible for billing the merchant?
- Who manages the SSL certificate?
- Who owns the domain name?
- How is customer support for the merchant handled?
- What shopping carts are you integrated to?
- What types of merchants can I put on the platform?
Keep in mind, the best white label payment gateways will offer killer features like the ability to recruit agents and other companies to resell your rebranded gateway. So keep an eye out for the showstoppers like a hierarchical structure and Multi-MID capabilities.
There is no doubt that white label payment gateways bring plenty of features to all sorts of businesses. It helps companies stand out from the rest and bring simple payment methods to their customers. Offering such services is another opportunity to promote a brand, increase its recognition, and have better control over the customer’s experience.
The best white label payment gateway solution is the one that can grow and develop with your business. The one which can adapt and adjust to the newly emerging needs and challenges.
A white label payment solution is an image-booster and a resource-saver for all categories of entities: from startups to SME to large companies. However, the degrees of freedom, offered by white label solutions, may vary across different categories of businesses. Customizable and robust white label payment solutions exemplify the current trend at the market.
White label payment gateway is profitable for businesses who do not want to invest in creating a payment mechanism from scratch.
That’s it for now.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my article! Really appreciate the continued support!
If you have a related query, feel free to let me know in the comments below.
Be part of my FinTech community by subscribing to my blog for more industry content and discussions
Also, share the article with the people who you think might be interested in reading it.
Please leave a comment and share your feedback; it’s what keeps me improving.
Would mean a lot to me and it helps other people see the story.
I look forward to your responses!
Thanks and Regards,